There is a common notion that Tatkal tickets booked through IRCTC Next Generation website cannot be cancelled under any circumstances. However, this assumption is not fully true; Tatkal tickers could be cancelled officially through IRCTC Next Gen website but unlike normal tickets, no refund would be done if the status of ticket were fully confirmed. On the other hand, if the train is more than 3-hours later than original schedule he/she is eligible to get a refund if the ticket is cancelled. In the same way, he/she is eligible for a refund if you cancelled the ticket as the train’s original route is altered or if the ticket is on the waiting list.
If you have booked your Tatkal tickets online, then, you could cancel the ticket on through IRCTC login and not offline method. Below mentioned is the procedure to cancel the Tatkal tickets booked online.
Here is how to cancel IRCTC Tatkal ticket
- Step 1: Open your web browser and visit the IRCTC official website. Click here to directly visit the website https://www.irctc.co.in/nget/train-search
- Step 2: For booking the Tatkal tickets, you could have already been on this website for booking the ticket. Therefore, using the website would be easy. Now, log in to your IRCTC account using the appropriate credentials. In case you lost the credentials, then, you can simply request an OTP by clicking the request OTP button below and get an OTP- One Time Password sent to your registered mobile number, therefore, allowing you to access your IRCTC account/profile.
- Step 3: Once, you enter the credentials and logged into your IRCTC account. On the left-hand side navigation bar, you could find an option that says “Booked Tickets” click this option.
- Step 4: Now, a list of all the tickets booked from this account will appear on the screen. Click the ticket that needed to be cancelled. Yes, all the normal tickets and Tatkal tickets would be listed on the same page.
- Step 5: On the page, you will find an option “Go for cancellation”, click the option “Go for cancellation” and a new table with the details of passengers on the ticket will appear on the same screen below.
- Step 6: Now, select those passenger names whose tickets needs to be cancelled from the column
- Step 7: Once, you have selected the passengers whose tickets needed to be canceled. Click the “Cancel Ticket” button below.
- Step 8: A new dialog box appears on the screen prompting for confirmation of cancellation. Hit the “OK” button on the dialog box.
- Step 9: Now the website will display the “Cancellation Status Details”, this would include the PNR-number, Train number, date of travel, from and to stations, reservation up to, boarding point, class, the total amount you paid, the cancellation charges, and if you are eligible for a refund, the amount you could get would be mentioned.
As mentioned above, you would have got a clear picture on how to cancel a Tatkal ticket booked online through IRCTC. Remember that you are eligible for a refund only if you fulfill the criterion mentioned in the beginning.